PDA

View Full Version : Don't hate, imitate!

Myiasis
09-04-2009, 03:06 AM
Hey, I wouldn't want to be in competition with Mantis either, but it's just getting zany out there. Remember the snap-on Churchkey too? Post em if ya find em, I just think it's hilarious when I see them now - why would I buy a monacan't when I could have a Monacoe?!

FreeRider67
09-04-2009, 03:17 AM
imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :D

but it's obvious what it's not... :p

Mr. Knife Guy
09-04-2009, 07:06 AM
That thing looks like a cross between a Mantis and a CRKT M16. (or the copy of the M16 that Gerber made) Byt the way, where did you find that? It looks like someting from a guy on ebay, "canadasword". Jared already had a little conversation with that guy......

Myiasis
09-04-2009, 08:09 AM
New "BudK" catalog showed up at the apt, I found that in there - went to their website and grabbed the picture.

Claymore
09-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I spotted that in a Kennesaw Cutlery catalog too, but BudK owns them too. Definitely seems like red and black are becoming popular knife colors. When I spot the flat out copies I usually email Jared with the link. I'd hate to see his rep damaged by low quality counterfeits. There's some companies and makers that have direct email to report counterfeits or trademark infringements.

FreeRider67
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
it is close to CRKT M16, and to the unaware viewer; a Mantis look-alike. but it ain't no ceeegar :D

wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall; for some of the conversations Jared has, with boot leggers. ;)

ragingwolf66
09-04-2009, 04:34 PM
The curse of success is that there will always be imitators. It is a plague that has been around for all eternity in every aspect of life. I believe it is a Tribute to Mantis' Success to see that there are imitators out there. But, in the infamous words of the Highlander..."There can only be one!!!"

fattySQ4288
09-04-2009, 07:29 PM
amen to that wolf :)

They're are many people are there who would do anything just to make a few hundred by imitating successful products like those from Mantis Knives. However, while this act may be viewed as a negative connotation by others, I personally see it as a sign of success and uniqueness that Mantis Knives has so well established. After reading the responses to this thread, I began to think and compare Mantis Knives to famous companies like Coach, Gucci, or even Louis Vuitton. These companies also suffer from imitation with people selling products that were mere copies out on the streets of Chinatown, internet, or by whatever other means.

But despite their efforts to make a few hundred, everybody in the end knows that the original is always the best and that it's the only true way to go. Yeah, their products might be expensive when compared to the fake, but you'll always get that satisfaction when you finally have that product in the palm of your hand.

In my opinion, this is good news for Mantis Knives because it shows that they are on their way to becoming something even bigger. It just comes to show that Mantis Knives has become something totally original when compared to other knife companies that people out there want to get a piece of that success. But as always, in the end, (As quote from ragingwolf from his quote) "There can only be one!!!"

Mr. Knife Guy
09-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Yeah, people wouldn't be copying Mantis knives if they weren't so cool. It just shows how original Mantis designs really are.

FreeRider67
09-07-2009, 01:28 PM
it stands to reason that, there will always be imitations produced. it's the cost of doing business in today's market.

but let's face it. you get what you pay for...

and if you don't pay much for it... you really can't expect to get much. there will always be good deals out there (i.e. yard sale, estate sale, etc.). one just has to beware... ;)

Mr. Knife Guy
09-08-2009, 08:11 AM
it stands to reason that, there will always be imitations produced. it's the cost of doing business in today's market.

but let's face it. you get what you pay for...

and if you don't pay much for it... you really can't expect to get much. there will always be good deals out there (i.e. yard sale, estate sale, etc.). one just has to beware... ;)

I agree, usually you get what you pay for, but with Mantis, you get much more!

FreeRider67
09-08-2009, 02:38 PM
you do get much more with a Mantis blade and from Mantis. Mantis takes blade ownership to a different level; both on product and service.

while Mantis blades are not "THE" best blades on the planet (something that is based on a person's individual preferences...); they are by far, top quality. and for the price, product quality, and customer service; I'm very happy with my purchases and personal relationship with Mantis.

all of those wrapped together... usually allow a business to work it's way to the top. ;)

Jared West
09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
That post certainly begs the question: Who's Blades are "THE" best if ours aren't?

* An uncompromising commitment to Customer Service
* Bad-ass blade steels
* Designs that are without question unique and functional
* An unconditional lifetime warranty that's FAR better than the competition
* Promotional offers
* Links to the inner workings of our company...

So...Freerider, who's blades are better?

Myiasis
09-08-2009, 03:40 PM
"For further information or to see if it's possible to make your chosen design with a different steel, just ask!"

With a quote like that lifted right off the FAQ page, I'd say if you aren't getting the best blade for you, it's certainly not Mantis' fault!

I understand the spirit in which Freerider's post was written, particularly since he gave the personal preference disclaimer, but I've got to say that flexibility to serve special requests surely narrows the field if not clears it!

FreeRider67
09-08-2009, 05:42 PM
"THE" best blade... :rolleyes:

hmmmmmmm... let me think.

in my opinion... it is the one that works best for you, in the situation you are in; that no other could provide the same results or satisfaction. :p

stimulating thought is, what MMMF is best suited for. and it did just that... ;)

and at least I know that Mantis is doing it's best, to be the best. and you really can't find any fault in that... :)

thanks for the bailout Myiasis. besides... if I didn't think Mantis was worth investing my time and money in... I'd be over at the "OTHER" companies.

ragingwolf66
09-08-2009, 06:07 PM
While I may have knives from other companies. None of them mean as much to me as my Mantis knives. Because of Jareds commitment to his product but more importantly to his customers, I will be a forever fan, and supporter of the company.
I do have some knives that have sentimental value to me, but not because of the company they came from, but because of the friends that they came from. With that being said though, If I had to choose which knives to take out to the Jungle, whether urban, or actual, I will choose my Mantis knives.

knifesista
09-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey Guys! I finally feel like I can comment on something I know and that is RIP OFF purses and well, now rip off knives! Nothing irks me more than someone who not only sports a fake (that is obvious or even not obvious) Louis or Gucci or Channel purse, but that they actually try to play it off like it is REAL. When obviously to the trained eye, you can see a fake a mile away. The same holds true to this weird knife rip off. I was really upset when I saw what SNAP ON did with the church key, but now this? I don't know who did it, but it just shows lack of originality/creativity and lack of ethical conduct. How do people sleep with the fact that they 100% took someone else's creation and market it as their own? It just is not ok. The worst part about someone ripping off a knife design, is that someone who may not be "in the know" might actually purchase the piece of crap, not realizing that there is a better, original version out there. At least when people buy fake purses they know that they are buying a rip off. But, will someone buy this and not know they are buying a rip off? How sad!

And, to comment on what you have to say, Free Rider,67, it is SO true, you get what you pay for. The quality and craftsmanship that goes into the original real thing, whether it is a purse or a knife, is unbeatable and worth every penny!

I know that people always say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but for some reason, I have never been flattered! Why is that?

Jared West
09-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Great Answer, Freerider. You're absolutely right.

Mantis never turns it's back on a li'l competition though... i thought we were goin' to have ourselves a good 'ol fashion knife competition on our hands! LOL.

FreeRider67
09-09-2009, 03:22 PM
it was funny to wake up to some anarchy this morning. I love to stir the pot a little. :p it keeps everyone on their toes and the blood flowing...