Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Blade Sheath Prototype

Thumbs up Fixed Blade Sheath Prototype

So classes have started and I decided I should try to get the basics of the new sheath review up on here. Iíll try to get pictures sometime soon but I only have a couple for now that Iíll add of the details and of the sheath attached to my CamelBak in the vertical position, which is one of my favorite ways to carry a fixie in the woods.

The new sheath design incorporated almost all of the ideas Jared and I discussed at BLADE and it is a HUGE improvement in versatility over the original models. The straps on this particular model also fit around my PryBar handle, which has the super thick Strider wrap on the handle. This is kind of a problem since the straps will allow an unwrapped handle to fall through. I have a couple of ideas on how to fix this if Jared is interested. The back of the sheath has a long vertical strap that runs most of the length of the sheath and closes with a snap on the bottom of the sheath. Two straps run horizontally across the sheath and are MOLLE compatible and allow the user to slide the long strap under any combination of them to allow for some great versatility in attachment. The belt loop is under the long strap on the back of the sheath, which is one thing I would change to improve the already great design. I would make a more rigid loop that is slightly larger and make it into the sheath mold, or basically a split in the back of the sheath that forms the belt loop. Where the snap attaches the long strap to the sheath there is a small flap that the snap is attached to the sheath with. I originally thought this would not be the best but after using it, it has proven to be a nice little touch that, if carried vertically, allows the knife to slip down an extra half inch or so. Nice touch Jared

This is made from the shell of one of the original sheaths so I wonít really go into the rest of it since Jared talked like that will probably change as more changes are made and it gets closer to production. As far as the attachability and versatility go, this new sheath rocks

Pictures won't upload right now for some reason. It gives me an error when I select them from my laptop so well try again soon.
    Rule #1: Never go ANYWHERE without a knife...or two

Really excited to see it in action Rob, the Molle compatibility is definitely nice/new touch in the Mantis line. People like to have as many rigging/configurations options as possible and it's nice to see that Jared is figuring out ways to satisfy their hunger.

As for the pics, for some odd reason we can't upload pics from our computers directly. To get around this, upload the pics on facebook or an online storage account and upload it through the web. It's the second tab on the right when the window for uploading pics pops up on your screen. Just plug in the link to that image and you should be in business.
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.

All the places I try it says invalid URL. Dang.

But yes the Molle compatibility is something that was a big need in a sheath and it has been addressed in the right way. I showed Jared my favorite sheat design and gave him some tips from it and he has implemented them perfectly. It's gonna be a super sweet sheath when the final product comes out

sounds like the wheels are turning and burning in that head of yours.
    keep those thoughts going Rob !!!
    George

it's not WHAT you ride... it's THAT you ride.

These wheels are always turning when it comes to thinking of new knife ideas I've got some 440C stock I'll start grinding on soon. I'll be sure to take pics for ya George I've got the template drawn too so I'm pumped

looks as though you, Adam, Nik, Eric (MKG) and Jared... may have
    a Pentagonal Thought Process going. it seems each of you have
    come up with like minded ideas; towards an ultimate goal.
    George

it's not WHAT you ride... it's THAT you ride.

We 5 should really collaborate on a knife lol It would be an amazing experience.
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.

That would be freakin awesome. I'm game we could come up with something amazing

Quote Originally Posted by fattySQ4288 View Post
    We 5 should really collaborate on a knife lol It would be an amazing experience.
    Seriously, that's a great idea.
    Founding Father Mantis Militia Member